March 29, 2010

Bunnies, Birds & Bulbs....


Yes, yes.  I know, I know.  Yet another wild-life up date.  But these little guys are back in full force--and numbers I've never seen. Everywhere I turn lately I'm encountering rabbits.  Cute, cuddly and oh-so-sweet looking now....but they will be eating their way through everything in sight in a few short weeks......

And from the "It's a Hoot" department.......A pair of owls are apparently auditioning our neighborhood up in Michigan.  Every evening they call to one another from high up in the pine trees.    Hoo-hoo calls the first. [Pause]  Hoo-hoo comes the reply.  It goes on this way for quite some time.  Not the most in-depth discussion perhaps, but they definitely are having a chat...What are they saying I wonder?  The view from above must be lovely--the trees are beginning to bud out, and the daffodils and tulips are well on their way to blooming.  Speaking of which......my forced bulbs are also blossoming in full force.
Nothing fills the house with the fresh smell of spring like these beautiful, periwinkle, Hyacinth  flowers. I chill them all winter in the bottom drawer of the fridge, and plant them up in January. Now is the pay off. Papery round bulbs yield sturdy stalks, green leaves, and these amazing, fragrant flowers. 


I hope you're enjoying the longer, warmer days. Spring has sprung.  Hope to see all of you soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails